Monday, July 04, 2011

Sew busy

Whilst mulling over whatever my next challenge might be (still no idea really!), I have been playing with my new sewing machine. My old faithful Jones, purchased at a car boot sale 18 years ago, for £20, finally gave up the ghost a few weeks back, just as I decided that I wanted to use it. This had all been prompted by one of my daughters wanting to buy a dress from a shop in Weymouth, which I considered to be extremely poor value for money......'you could make it for less than a quarter of that price' I think were the words that started it. So, a few projects in, and I am remembering that, actually, I can sew. A bit of a revelation from someone whose teenage efforts never managed to pass muster as far as the mother was concerned.

Anyway, I had a particularly productive day yesterday, a top for me, and a dress for the 'not so little' smaller one (12 last week) in the most adorable fabric that we found on Friday. Here we are, modelling the results.


Note the wet hair on littly; she was fresh from the swimming pool and hadn't realised just how quickly the dress would be finished!

Next up, another top from the same pattern for me, and possibly some skirts; those black trousers are WAY too big and held up only by the belt!

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

Way to go, I LOVE that top - it fits you beautifully, getting the boobie line right isn't always easy. What was the pattern please? Must make tops now.
Molly looks gorgeous in your creation. Soon she'll have 12 frocks, if you've got the bug. Skirts are so easy. I make mine A line without a waistband, just a zip and facing or lining, so only 4 pieces really. When I'm heavier they sit at my waist, and when I'm lighter they drop a little onto my hips, so can wear whenever.
Anyway, lovely catching up. You're looking great.
love MrsKnicks
xxxxx

Judith said...

Hi Tina,
Just read your post on Tilly and the Buttons.
A great blog I found from someone with real curves has been
Shams from Communing With Fabric (http://communingwithfabric.blogspot.com/).
She appears to have a great sense of humour - read her post on making a dressing gown for the larger endowed female.
And other is Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewers (http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/). She is a guru in the sewing blog world and address all sizes.
Hopes this helps somewhat. Judith (Australia)